If you are replacing an existing garage, a Demolition Permit issued by the Cook County Department of Environmental Control must be submitted along with the following information:
- A completed building permit application along with a copy of your plat of survey showing the exact location and size drawn to scale of the proposed garage, along with the exact length of the proposed driveway must be submitted for review.
- A completed Detached Garage Specification Form (PDF) along with 4 sets of drawings of the proposed garage including sizes and quantity of materials being used.
- An Electrical Contractor (with a current license and bond on file in our office) will be required at the time of submittal.
- A completed Consumer Rights Form, Permit Acceptance Agreement Form and the Affidavit for Building Permit Form must also be completed when the project is submitted for review.
It may be necessary to receive approval from our Engineering Department if the garage is located within a floodplain.
Payment of Fees
When the permit is approved (2) separate checks will be required:
- A check for the permit fees
- A check for a Parkway Restoration Bond in the amount of $1,000 from the Contractor (not the homeowner) which is held by the Building Department, will be returned after the parkway restoration and all final inspections have been successfully completed.
Required Garage/Driveway Inspections
- Grades must be set before the forms are placed. Contact the Engineering Department at 847-459-2985 to schedule this inspection.
- A pre-pour inspection is necessary, contact the Building Department at 847-459-2620.
- All required driveway inspections must be completed.
- A final inspection is required with our Building, Electrical and Engineering Inspectors upon completion of the project.
- Call 24 hours in advance to schedule all inspections.
No garage shall be located within:
- 10 feet away from the house.
- 25 feet of a street right-of-way
- 6 feet of an interior side lot line and six feet on a rear lot line in all residential districts
- The required front yard for all districts.
Height of Garage Building
A garage shall not exceed the height of the principal structure or 16 feet measured from grade at the garage building (whichever is less).