Village Policy On Constructing a Shed or Gazebo
A permit application (PDF)
must be filled out with a Plat of Survey attached showing the location and size of the shed or gazebo
. It will be reviewed before issuing the permit. The 2018 International Residential Code and (if applicable) the 2018 National Electric Code will be followed.
- Must be a minimum of 10 feet from rear of the house and 6 feet away from side and rear property line.
- Can not be located on an easement.
- Maximum height is 16 feet from finished grade to the top of the structure.
- No sheds or gazebos are permitted in the floodway.
It must be Indicated how the shed or gazebo structure is supported (i.e. piers, slab, or properly supported deck). The piers or post holes must be inspected before they are filled to assure the 42-inch minimum depth. Slab must be a minimum of 5 inches thick with a minimum of 1 bolt on each corner.
- List all materials (including sizes and dimensions) being used.
- A Licensed/Bonded Electrician is required if electric will be installed in the gazebo.
Final inspection for the structure (and electric if necessary) is required upon completion. Call 847-459-2620 24-hours in advance for scheduling all inspections.
If you belong to a Homeowners Association, a letter of permission for installation is required by the Village if required by the Association.