References at the end of each paragraph are to the applicable section number of the Wheeling Municipal Code. Click here to go to the Municipal Code page.

Abandoned Vehicles

The parking, storing or leaving of any motor vehicle in an abandoned, wrecked, inoperational, rusted, junked, dismantled or partially dismantled condition on either public or private property for more than 72 hours is strictly prohibited. (§9.16.101)

Any vehicle determined to be in violation of this provision is subject to towing by the police department with the owner responsible for the costs of removal and storage, if any. (§9.16.106)

Alarm Systems

If you have a burglar or fire alarm system in your home or business, you are required to apply for a permit from the Village Clerk’s office. The cost of an alarm permit is $20 per year. (§8.70.020)

Animal Leash Law

The Village of Wheeling has a leash law which requires all animals on any public street, sidewalk or other area to be on a leash. (§7.080.060)

Animal Deposits

Any person who owns or is in control of an animal who deposits fecal excrement upon any public or private property is required to dispose of the excrement in a sanitary manner. (§7.10.010; §7.10.020)


No garbage or refuse shall be deposited for collection before 6pm of the day before the scheduled pick-up. (§5.32.040)

All garbage must be deposited in an approved receptacle. Approved garbage receptacles include metal or plastic containers with a close-fitting cover with a capacity of not less than 10 gallons nor more than 32 gallons and plastic bags of not less than 1.5 mils. (§5.32.020)

Parental Responsibility

The parent or legal guardian who has custody of any minor is responsible for any fine or restitution imposed by a court upon the minor for a violation of the Wheeling Municipal Code. (§8.04.210)

Snow Removal


It is the responsibility of every owner or person having charge of any building or lot to remove the snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of the building or lot. (§11.16.010)

Individuals who shovel snow or ice from sidewalks are not liable for personal injuries allegedly caused by the snowy or icy condition of the sidewalk resulting from their shoveling unless their conduct is willful or wanton. (Willful or wanton conduct means with an actual intent to cause an injury or with a conscious disregard for the safety of others. Illinois Compiled Statutes, Chapter 745, Section 75/2.


It is unlawful to remove or cause any snow or ice to be removed and deposited upon any street, road or highway. (§11.16.030)

Solicitors or Peddlers

Federal law protects the rights of individuals who conduct door to door solicitation. The Village can impose reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on this type of activity. The following restrictions apply to door to door solicitors:
  1. All persons are required to obtain a permit to conduct door to door solicitation. (§4.52.020)
  2. No solicitation shall occur after 9pm or before 9am. (§4.52.090)
  3. No person shall solicit on any property displaying a notice which states, "No Solicitors or Peddlers" or "No Trespassing". ("No Solicitation" signs are available at Village Hall.) (§4.52.080)

Underage Drinking

It is unlawful for any person under the age of 21 to:
  1. Purchase or attempt to purchase any alcoholic liquor. (§8.04.110)
  2. Request or solicit any person over 21 to purchase alcoholic liquor for them. (§8.04.120)
  3. Misrepresent their age for the purpose of purchasing alcoholic liquor. (§8.04.140)
  4. Possess false identification. (§8.04.150)
  5. Possess alcoholic liquor. (§8.04.110)
  6. Be intoxicated. (§8.04.160)
It is also unlawful for any person under the age of 21 to remain upon any premises when that person knows other persons under the age of 21 are is possession of alcoholic liquor. §8.04.170.

Any underage person found guilty of driving while intoxicated or transportation of liquor in a motor vehicle will have their driver's license immediately revoked. Illinois Compiled Statutes, Chapter 625, Section 5/6-205.

These ordinances are available for inspection at the Village Clerk’s Offices. Copies of ordinances can be obtained from the Clerk’s office upon the payment of the costs of reproduction.