One Day Recycling Event
A residential one-day Electronic Recycling and Document Destruction event is scheduled for Saturday, May 4, 2019. The Village of Wheeling is hosting this combined recycling event at the Department of Public Works, 77 W. Hintz Road, from 9:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. only. Residents from Wheeling and other Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) communities are eligible to participate. Materials will not be accepted from non-SWANCC residents, businesses, schools or institutions. Please have your ID (that includes address) as IDs will be checked for verification of residency and those residents not in a SWANCC community will be re-directed to an exit.
- Residents may bring sensitive documents to destroy, such as medical records/forms, tax forms, bank statements, and personal files for shredding.
- Items not accepted include magazines, greeting cards, or newspapers. These can be recycled at your curbside.
- There is a limit of six (6) file-size boxes or paper bags per vehicle.
- Do not bring paper in plastic bags.
- Plastic, plastic sleeves, folders and metal clips or binders must be removed.
Documents will be placed in a toter and, once toters are full, will be loaded into a shredding truck onsite. The paper will be cross-shredded, baled and recycled.
- Remove all electronics from plastic packaging and boxes prior to bringing it to the event.
- Acceptable Materials: Cable Receivers, Cell Phones, Computer Cables, Computer Monitors, Computers (Desktop, Notebook, Tablet), Converter Boxes, Desktop Fax Machines and Printers, Keyboards, Mice, MP3 Players, Portable Digital Assistants (PDAs), Satellite Receivers, Scanners, Televisions, Video Game Consoles, Video Recorders/Players and Zip Drives.
- Not Acceptable Materials: Stereos, Speakers, Batteries or Battery Back-ups, Air Conditioners, Dehumidifiers, Humidifiers, Home Appliances, Lamps,
Microwaves, Vacuum Cleaners, Refrigerators or other large home appliances; and CDs, DVDs or VHS tapes. Items will be returned to the resident, who will be responsible for proper disposal. Residents may contact SWANCC, 847-724-9205, or the Village of Wheeling, 847-279-6900, for disposal options.
Due to safety, amount of vehicles, and space constraints at this event, residents will not be allowed to exit their vehicles at any time for any reason, or park to observe documents being shredded.
Residents should expect delays, or longer waiting times, during the event. It is recommended that residents arrive no later than 11 am to ensure participation.
Please contact Public Works at 847-279-6900 with any questions, or for additional electronic and document destruction events scheduled by SWANCC, visit www.swancc.org or contact 847-724-9205.