The Wheeling Safe Communities (WSC) program is a state-of-the-art, crime prevention program designed to reduce crime, drugs, and gang activity in rental properties. This program is based on the Crime Free Multi-Housing program, which was successfully developed at the Mesa Arizona Police Department in 1992, and has since been adopted by nearly 2,000 cities in 44 U.S. states, 5 Canadian Provinces, Mexico, England, Finland, Japan, Russia, Malaysia, Nigeria, Afghanistan, and Puerto Rico.
The Wheeling Safe Communities Ordinance requires that all landlords and/or property managers complete a mandatory seminar, offered on various days of the month and taught by Wheeling Police Officers (click here for instructions for registering for upcoming seminars
) In addition, landlords will be required to use a crime free lease addendum when renewing a lease or renting to a new resident.
- Crime Prevention Theory
- Theory of physical security - Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
- Benefits of Resident Screening, including Criminal Background Checks
- Lease Agreements and Eviction Issues
- Key Control and Master Key Use
- On-Going Security Management Monitoring and Responding to Criminal Activity
- Gangs, Drug Activity, and Crime Prevention
- Legal Warnings
For more information please contact the Wheeling Safe Communities Coordinator at (847) 459-2996.