The Village Clerk is elected by the residents of the village to a 4-year term. Duties of the Village Clerk include:
- Attending all official meetings of the corporate authorities, and preparing the official minutes, subject to the direction and approval of the corporate authorities.
- Provide the village seal and attest for all ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and bonds of the village, and such licenses, permits and other documents as require this formality.
- Act as the custodian of the village seal and affix its impression on documents whenever required. Arrange the placing of such advertisements or notices as may from time to time be required by statute, ordinance or direction of the village board.
- Act as the custodian of all documents - click here for Categories of Records (PDF) - belonging to the village which are not assigned to the custody of some other officer. To submit a request for records (FOIA) please click here.
- Keep and maintain a proper index of all documents and records so that ready access thereto may be had.
- Perform other duties as required by state law and as may from time to time be delegated by the president and board of trustees.
- Serves as the Local Election Official for all local municipal elections.
- Foreclosure notices and Final Confirmation Sale orders should be sent to the attention of the Village Clerk.
Office Vacancy Protocol
In case the office of Village Clerk becomes vacant for any reason, the President and Board of Trustees appoint a successor as is provided by law.
The corporate authorities may by resolution, appoint a deputy clerk whose role shall be to assist with the duties of the office of the clerk. A deputy clerk shall exercise all of the powers and duties of the village clerk, which powers and duties shall be exercised only in the absence of the village clerk; provided, that the village clerk may delegate such further powers to a deputy clerk as the village clerk may deem necessary from time to time. A deputy clerk shall at all times be subordinate to and subject to the authority of the village clerk, with respect to all clerk duties and functions. In case of absence or vacancy of the deputy clerk, the village clerk may authorize any qualified person to act in his or her absence from village hall, by written delegation.