Red Light Enforcement Program
- Red Light Enforcement Program Flyer (PDF)
- 2019 Statistical Analysis - Milwaukee and Dundee
- 2019 Statistical Analysis - Palatine and Wheeling Road
- Milwaukee Avenue and Dundee Road - 36 month Statistical Analysis (PDF)
- Palatine Road and Wheeling Road - 36 Month Statistical Analysis (PDF)
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, nearly 2 million crashes occur each year at intersections. In 2005, red light running resulted in 800 fatalities and over 165,000 injuries. It is the Village's belief that implementation of an Automated Red Light Photo Enforcement Program will reduce the number of red light collisions and injuries associated with such crashes. The goal of this program is to increase traffic safety in Wheeling by reducing red light running violations, red light crashes and red light injury crashes without impacting Village funds.
- Locations: Milwaukee and Dundee; Palatine and Wheeling
There are 2 Types of Red Light Violations
- Right Turn on Red without coming to a complete stop - You may be cited with a Red Light Violation if you fail to bring your vehicle to a complete stop before turning right when the light is red. Turning right on red, after bringing your vehicle to a complete stop, is only allowed at intersections that do not have signs prohibiting such turns. For exact wording, please check Illinois' Rules of the Road, or visit the Secretary of State's website
- Entering an intersection after the traffic signal has turned red - Motorists already in the intersection when the signal changes to red, when waiting to turn for example, are not considered red light violators.
Watch the Red Light Enforcement Video (WMV).
Questions? Call 847-459-2615.