Residential Document Recycling Event
On Saturday, May 8, 2021, the Solid Waste Agency of Cook County (SWANCC) and Village of Wheeling is hosting a document destruction (shredding) recycling event at the Department of Public Works, 77 W. Hintz Road, from 9:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. There is NO ELECTRONIC WASTE COLLECTION.
Residents from Wheeling and other Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) communities are eligible to participate. Materials will not be accepted from non-SWANCC residents, businesses, schools or institutions. IDs will be checked for verification of residency and those residents not in a SWANCC community will be re-directed to an exit.
To ensure a successful event, please read the below requirements. If paper is not prepared correctly, residents will not be able to participate and will be requested to exit the event.
- Residents are limited to six (6) file-size boxes or paper grocery bags of “sensitive documents”. Sensitive documents include medical records, retired tax records, financial planning or documents with personal information, etc.
- Paper/documents must be dry, clean and loose – not in binders or folders.
- Remove all metal clips. Staples only are acceptable.
- Remove all plastic covers or binders.
- Documents must be contained in the trunk of the vehicle for accessibility. (See below safety guidelines).
- NO magazines, newspapers, junk mail/ads/coupons, greeting cards, store receipts, photos, books.
- NO x-ray, photos or family albums, photo negatives, plastic credit or gift cards, plastic covers from check books or similar.
- Absolutely NO plastic bags!
- Boxes will be returned to residents.
Additionally, new safety guidelines will be in effect for this event:
- Residents must wear a mask and remain in their vehicle.
- IDs will be checked though a closed window to verify residency. There will be no handling of a driver’s license.
- Residents will only be able to unlock the trunk from inside the vehicle and allow staff to unload the items from the trunk. There will be no opening of any vehicle doors or passing documents through vehicle windows.
- Residents are not allowed to exit vehicles, or stay or park onsite to observe documents being shredded.
- If a person has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus or is experiencing symptoms, DO NOT attend this event.
- Site/event coordinator may refuse service if a resident fails to comply with the Safety Guidelines.
In anticipation of high participation, residents should expect delays, or longer waiting times, during the event. It is recommended that residents arrive no later than 11 am to ensure participation. The event will conclude promptly at NOON.
Documents will be placed in a toter and, once toters are full, will be loaded into a shredding truck onsite. The paper will be cross-shredded, baled and recycled.
Please contact Public Works at 847-279-6900 with any questions, or for additional electronic and document destruction events scheduled by SWANCC, visit www.swancc.org or contact 847-724-9205.