Why Choose Wheeling?
Business growth and construction are on the rise in Wheeling. From multi-million-dollar mixed-use projects to major corporate expansions, Wheeling stands out as a strategic location to do business and the Village is committed to helping companies get set up for success with advantages including a skilled workforce, outstanding community support, access to regional transportation systems, and an established quality of life. As proof that our efforts are working, permit construction values have surpassed $300 million in the past four years, and companies such as Richelieu Foods, SG360°, and Wieland Metals have either recently located to or expanded in Wheeling.
Wheeling is a smart community for a business to call home, as transportation infrastructure and accessibility are among our strongest assets. Wheeling is also home to Chicago Executive Airport – the third-busiest airport in the Chicagoland area. In terms of location, the Village is within just a few minutes of interstate highways and O’Hare International Airport. Below are some additional facts that make Wheeling prime for investment, development, and business growth.
- Over 17,000,000 SF of industrial, office, hospitality, and retail space exists within Wheeling, encompassing over 800 businesses.
- There are several zoning districts to help set up the Village for commerce, including:
◦ Nearly 1,400 acres zoned Industrial
◦ Over 340 acres zoned Business
◦ Over 450 acres zoned Mixed-Use
That’s a total of nearly 3.5 square miles of land area dedicated to industrial, office, commercial/retail, and hospitality uses.
- Four active Tax Increment Finance (TIF) Districts totaling over 800 acres exist to assist community-defining projects such as the Westin Chicago North Shore Hotel and Conference Center, Wheeling Town Center, Fresh Farms Plaza, and Uptown 500.
- Several financial assistance tools are available to help start your business, including the Wheeling Restaurant and Retail Build-Out Grant, which can offer up to $150,000 to build out your dream sit-down restaurant and up to $50,000 to build out your new retail store or other food and beverage operation.
- Five arterial roads with ADTs exceeding 20,000 vehicles per day run through Wheeling, including Milwaukee Avenue, Lake Cook Road, and Dundee Road. Wheeling is also conveniently located near I-294, IL-53, and other major roadways.
- Metra’s North Center Service Line, which includes stops such as O’Hare International Airport and Chicago Union Station, has a train stop in the heart of Wheeling.
- There are over 20 shopping centers throughout the Village, ranging from 5,000 SF neighborhood centers to 150,000+ SF regional centers featuring major retailers such as Super Walmart and Target.
- Over 80 food and beverage businesses serve customers from Wheeling and throughout the region, including iconic eateries such as Bob Chinn’s Crab House, Saranello’s, Superdawg Drive-In, Cooper’s Hawk, and Boston Fish Market.
Manufacturing Promo - click here
Grants Promo - click here
To learn more about Wheeling’s economic strengths and development opportunities, contact: