Permits are required for automatic sprinkler systems, fire pumps, hood and duct fire suppression systems, engineered fire suppression systems, fire alarms, emergency responder radio systems, and area of rescue assistance systems. Open burn and fireworks and other situations require permits too. Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau for more information at: (847) 459-2669. Click here
to download a Permit Application.
All fire sprinkler installations and/or modifications require the following information to be submitted for review:
- Complete set of engineering drawings.
- Complete set of hydraulic calculations out to the connection to the Village of Wheeling water supply system (including the proposed reduced pressure backflow prevention device (i.e. RPZ.)
- Equipment manufacturer cut-sheets:
- Alarm monitoring panel (if applicable)
- Fire pump controller (if applicable)
- Fire pump with design curve (if applicable)
- Proposed sprinkler heads
- Reduced pressure backflow prevention device
- Tamper and flow switches
Once all required information is received by the Fire Prevention Bureau, the plan review process can take up to 10 business days. On larger or more complex fire suppression systems, this review can take up to 20 business days. All plan reviews are completed in the order in which they are received. In complete submissions are moved to the bottom of the list of projects awaiting review and approval.